We are honoured to be the first state-funded Greek Orthodox secondary school in Britain. Anglican, Roman Catholic and other Church schools are very much respected by parents; and we have been delighted to join them, making our contribution to the high academic standards and values-based education with which Church schools are associated nationally.
In common with most Church schools, a daily act of collective worship is fundamental to the organisation of St Andrew the Apostle. Assemblies are held for the whole school twice a week and in tutor or year groups on the remaining days. We actively encourage an understanding and respect for all faiths and our assemblies draw on the musical and choral traditions of many Christian churches; supporting our students as they develop into respectful and well educated young people.
Our school motto is 'Ever to Excel' which is the English translation of the Ancient Greek phrase 'αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν' (aièn aristeúein) derived from the sixth book of Homer's Iliad and for our ethos this means the following: our students always try their best and never give up knowing that they will be nurtured and supported to achieve their ambitions.
At St Andrew the Apostle we:
- Deliver a broad curriculum that promotes academic excellence and exceptional progress across the ability range.
- Foster a spirit of kindness, tolerance and responsibility which will allow each student to grow in character as an individual and as a community member.
- Allow students to excel in sports, music and the arts.
- Encourage students to progress to higher education.
- Promote a high number of students to study maths, science and the classical subjects at University.
The St Andrew the Apostle School Prayer:
We bless you our most high God and Lord of mercy.
We pray that you would bless each one of us this day.
Give us inquiring minds and discerning hearts.
Give us courage to persevere in all we undertake.
Give us the gift of joy and wonder in all things.
Give us laughter and love to share with others.
Give us protection and safety in all that we do.
And give us sure and certain knowledge of your unfailing love.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
Both now and forever and to the ages of ages.
Our school Bible verse is taken from Luke 1:37
“Nothing will be impossible with God”.